Saturday, January 17, 2009
Family Traditions
I have heard and read about (and seen in the movies) ‘the traditional Sunday dinners’ where the entire family gets together for an evening of fun - call me sentimental if you will, but I like that idea. We are fortunate to have both sets of parents (and one brother who is currently in Afghanistan but will be home soon!) living within 20 minutes of us so I think it is important for us to spend time together, especially now that grandkids are here. I have started a ‘new’ tradition (new tradition – talk about an oxymoron) of family dinners. I am one of those people that say “let’s get together” but the busyness of life just takes over and those well-meaning intentions never come to fruition. So I made a point of marking these on the calendar and we now have dinner with Jacques’ mom and step-dad the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month and dinner with my family the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month. Two of those dinners are at our house and the other dinners will be at Jacques’ mom’s house and my mom’s house – this is nice in that we each get a break from cooking J We started this tradition last week with my mom and dad coming over for a make-your-own-pizza night. Jadon really enjoys seeing his grandparents and it’s nice to just spend time together as a family. To borrow from Martha Stewart, “it’s a good thing”.
